Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Hi, Welcome to the Ward! Here, have 3 callings!

Yeah, so we have been in our new ward for probably almost 2 months now. The second Sunday in January we had Stake Conference, where our Bishop was called as the new stake president. This past Sunday we had Ward Conference and finally got a new bishopric called. So, for a few weeks there, our Bishop was also our Stake President. How daunting! So, he was quite busy and didn't get a chance to meet with us as new members until about 2 weeks ago. Then, not the most recent Sunday, but the one before that, I got a call asking me to meet with a member of the Bishopric next Sunday. So, I obviously knew a calling was coming. And I had a feeling of what it might be. So, I go in and meet with the first counselor. And sure enough, I got called to be the ward chorister, meaning I'll be leading the music in Sacrament Meeting. (That's what I was doing in the ward me and Morian met in; it's how I got him to notice me!) But, that's not all I will be doing. I was also called to be the music coordinator, which means I get to pick all the songs we sing in Sacrament Meeting. But wait! That's not all! I also got called to be the choir director. Um, when was the last time I ever went to ward choir? Oh yeah, in high school, b/c the boy in my ward I had a crush on sang in the choir and I think I only went once or twice. So, hmmm... This'll be interesting. And I get to start next Sunday! Oh joy!

7 comments:

Liz T. said...

I got called to be ward choir director, ward music chair, and ward chorister when I was 17 in my family ward! I know how you feel. It is a lot. Ward Chorister and Music Chair are easy, Choir Director though, is sooooo much more work. You will be great!!!!!!!!

Esther/Mom/Grandma said...

Like Liz said, chorister and chair are relatively simple. For the choir director calling, just do a lot of research and look through all the music the ward has, talk to some people who know music (friends, family, previous choir directors, etc.) and be enthusiastic! That will go a loooonnng way! Good luck - you'll do great!

Colleen Miller said...

Oh that is so exciting!! You'll be wonderful. John's sister always gets called as the choir director or organist in all the wards they have lived in down in Utah so far! Anyways. good luck

meg said...

it sounds like a lot, but it will actually save you some headaches--i've been music chair and it can be a pain to delegate and make sure other people follow through on their chorister callings. you'll do a great job and hopefully it will be fun and not just stressful. good luck and have fun picking hymns!

MommaMcCarthy said...

jealous! i would love those callings!

Michael B said...

Oh man, I think that would be a tough calling... ward choir director. I didn't know you were so musical! Good luck!

Annie

Carolyn Ebert said...

You'll be great! I remember having to line up a musical number for every Sacrament meeting in one of our wards. That was tricky. At least once a month I relied on the old congregational rest hymn. I love that you get to pick the hymns. Fun.