Thursday, September 16, 2010

Happy Birthday Devin!

Today is Devin's birthday. He is 2 years old. I can hardly believe it! Technically at this time 2 years ago he still wasn't even born yet (7:40 PM baby) but it's the day right?! Where has the time gone?
We are doing a family celebration on Saturday, but we still wanted to do something for Devin on his actual birthday. So, after he woke up, he got a present to open!

The Birthday Boy + his present

Once we showed him what to do, he took over and did a great job unwrapping his present!
(I took a video of most of it, so this was like the only picture I got)

"Hey, those guys look familiar!"

Devin is very much into Toy Story, and especially Buzz Lightyear right now. So of course he was pretty excited to find Buzz and had to point him out!

Here he is showcasing his present; too bad he doesn't smile on command!

But he really was super stoked for his present!

Of course, Buzz and Zurg had to fight! And Zurg always seems to win...this is how he played with them all morning!

Also, in conjunction with his birthday, we upgraded him to a "big boy" bed. We figured if we did it now, he's got about 6 weeks to get used to it before the baby comes. Morian's mom had bought some Toy Story sheets and comforter a while back and we thought it was perfect for his new bed!

Here is Devin with all his Buzz's. (Notice the small toy one near the bottom left.)

And here is Devin sitting on his new "big boy" bed. So far he likes it! He crawled right on up and was having a good ole time matching up the toys with those on the comforter and playing with them.

In honor of his birthday, Devin got a coupon for a free kids' Grand Slam from Denny's, valid only on his birthday. We actually have one not too far from us, so I decided to brave the 20 minute or so walk there with Devin in a stroller and my huge belly for some breakfast for lunch! Devin got chocolate chip pancakes with a piece of sausage and a piece of bacon.
He had a few bites of pancake (mostly around the edge where the chocolate chips were!),

sausage (he ate his and like 1 1/2 of mine!)

& bacon!
I was quite surprised when he grabbed the meat and started chowing down on it! I just never know what this kid is gonna eat! He also had a few bites of lunch, which was called Bananas Foster French Toast Skillet, and oh my goodness! That was the best stuff ever! French toasts covered in a caramel sauce with banana slices. Yum-o! Devin really liked it too! (Better than his pancakes!)
Devin fell asleep on our way home (it was nap time) and so he was pretty out of it when I laid him down on his new bed. But he just rolled over onto his tummy and went back to sleep and going strong! At least we know it's comfy enough to sleep on, but who knows if he'll be able to fall asleep on it on his own!
I am so glad that Devin is my son (still kinda weird to say that sometimes!) and feel so blessed to be a part of his life! What an enormous responsibility it is to care for him, but I wouldn't want anyone else to do it! Even though he's been working on the "Terrible Twos" for a while now, and I seem to have an especially small amount of patience with him (as I get bigger, it gets shorter!), I love him to pieces and am amazed at all he does!
Happy Birthday Devin! Mommy and Daddy love you!

6 comments:

Bryce and Kathleen said...

Happy Birthday Devin! 2 years already?! It really does go by fast. Hope everything is going well for you guys! And hopefully the big boy bed transition goes well. Spencer recently figured out it's funny to get out of bed and bang on the door at bed time...which has been a lot of fun. hopefully he'll get over it soon.

Esther/Mom/Grandma said...

Happy, Happy Birthday, Devin! It looks like you've had a fun day so far! I can't wait to see you on Saturday! Have fun sleeping in your new bed! Grandpa and I love you very much!

Kayley said...

Oh my goodness! This post made me smile like the whole time!! He was so happy and excited to get those little toys! What a great gift for him. I meant to call him today...but time got away from me. It sounds like you had a good day. Have fun on Saturday!
Happy Birthday Devin! We sure love you too!

Paul said...

I am proud and happy that you had a nice meal at Denny's just the two of you. I would have smiled if I saw that from across the room. Happy Birthday Devin.

Rachelle said...

Happy birthday Devin! I love his cute bed! He is just adorable!!!

Adrienne said...

As I always seem to say, I love his hair. He is such a cute boy! And I hope the transition to the new bed has been smooth. Ours never have been, but I'm hoping that means someone else has all the good luck :)