Monday, April 20, 2009

Help Needed

I am in desperate need of some advice/help. Any tips on getting a baby on a good wake/sleep schedule? Devin is so inconsistent and I just don't know what to do. One night he has to be nursed to sleep or else he won't sleep. The next, he wakes up screaming 2 minutes after I put him down and can't seem to settle himself back down. Naps are also crazy. From day to day, I never know when he'll sleep, or for how long. So, any tips on how to get my baby to sleep at about the same times every day would be GREATLY appreciated!

5 comments:

Erika said...

I wish I could help but if you get some good advice pass it along! I think in the end that if nothing works that the only thing that does is crying it out and I just can't do that. Keegan has a fairly regular schedule but sometimes does really random things too. I'm not looking forward to how messed up his schedule will be after we travel...

GOOD LUCK!!

Amy said...

This is a link to a post that one of my friends wrote about getting her little one to a regular sleep schedule. Although I don't know from first hand experience, it seemed wise to me!! Good luck!!

http://foxandewe.blogspot.com/2009/04/hallelujah.html

FWIL Sentimental Blog Content said...

So all my sisters-in-law swear by two books: Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child, or maybe happy baby, and Babywise, both are supposedly amazing but since I don't have a kid I don't know for sure, but I've heard lots of good things about both from many people!

meg said...

From my experiences, I would have told you everything from the link above--great advice. Don't be afraid to let Devin cry a bit--they have to learn to comfort themselves. It's hard, but he will be better for it. The key I've learned is to be consistent--have the same bedtime routine, have the same soothing routine (whatever works for Devin) and don't give up! It might feel like a long two weeks, but it really does work.
The same can apply for naps--have a little routine, and just do your best to make them happen. You'll probably notice that Devin has a pattern more than a set schedule (or you may know this already). We don't have bedtime and nap time at the same time everyday, but I know that Grey needs to take a nap about every four to five hours. This knowledge helps me formulate the day--if he wakes up at 8, he'll need a nap around 12. If you need to control when Devin naps, try figuring out how often he needs naps (i'm going to guess every 3-4 hours) and try to time his naps to activities.
Hang in there! It may seem impossibly hard, but you can do this.

Liz T. said...

He's probably gettin' some teeth, and I remember it was around this time that I helped Caleb to stop falling asleep on the breast. Wish I would have done it sooner. 7-8 months, sometimes they gotta' cry a little. I read the Baby Whisperer, and I LOVED the outlook on schedules I got from that. The other books named are great too.