Tuesday, June 1, 2010

I can be creative!

So, when I was expecting Devin, my grandpa gave me a rocking chair that he had. I can't remember if he actually built it, of just had it for a long time. Well, it had no cushions on it and sitting on it to nurse Devin wasn't so comfortable. So we put this back massager thing on it. It was a little better, except for when you found the massager piece in the middle of your back! I decided I wanted cushions for it, but ones that matched Devin's bedding and such. Well, for that to happen, I had to make my own. I decided to use receiving blankets that matched and bought them. But then they sat in the bag for a long time. I had no idea how I was going to actually to make those blankets into cushions. Then my sister got a sewing machine for her birthday. She has been making these little bags out of place mats, and it kind of got me in the mood to finally make those cushions. So I found the blankets, made some patterns, cut up some pillows, and went to work. I kinda wish I had documented each step with pictures, but all I have is the end product.
A close-up of the seat cushion. At first I was going to just have it the shape of the pillow, but then I was daring and tried to cut it in the shape of the seat. It was harder than I expected, but it turned out okay.
Here is the back. I did keep it the shape of the pillow b/c it fit just fine like that.
This is the back. I was going to put velcro on the straps, and got some sewed onto the top ones, but had trouble with the next set, so it will just be tied. I may end up taking the velcro off and having those tie as well. The bottom tie is from the seat cushion.
I made them so they could be reversible. The back and seat both of a side with the frogs and ducks and then the back has a green plaid side and the seat has a yellow stripe side.
Definitely amateur-looking, but for having not used a sewing machine in 9 years and having no official pattern, I think I did pretty good, if I do say so myself! And they definitely make the rocking chair much more comfortable now!

6 comments:

Annie B said...

Wow, it looks so great! Don't you love making things?

Esther/Mom/Grandma said...

Good work!

Erika said...

Way to go...it's far above my sewing skills! :)

Adrienne said...

Look at you, gettin' your Craft on! It looks awesome!

Kayley said...

Yay Kirsta! They really do look good. I am proud of you for doing all the work!

Carolyn Ebert said...

How clever and resourceful! This is something I couldn't even dream of attempting. Good job!