So, just to recap, I used to have flat-as-a-pancake feet. Seriously, even the doctor was pretty shocked at how flat they were when I went in to see him to see if there was anything to be done. We decided to insert an implant into my feet that would keep my arches from collapsing down. I also had kind of an extra bone in each feet, on the inside. Those would be removed and the tendon that goes across there would be tightened and that would also help to keep my arches from collapsing. So, in November 2007, I had my right foot. I got pregnant with Devin right after that so I wasn't able to get my left foot done for a while. Finally, 3 weeks after Mackenzie was born, November 2010, I had my left foot done. It never felt quite right. For 2 years I put up with the pain, assuming it would go away eventually. Finally I couldn't deal with it anymore and after talking to my doctor, we decided to take it out. (We figured that even though the implant was right where it was supposed to be, there was enough wiggle room that when I moved my foot certain ways, it rubbed up against my bone and caused me pain!) And that happened March 2013.
With the first 2 surgeries, I was in a hard walking cast for about 6 weeks. This time, since it was a lot less intrusive, I was in a soft cast-like wrapping from Friday-Tuesday.
After getting that off, I still had the stitches in for another week. Now, the other times I got the stitches removed, I totally passed out! The first time, I attributed it to being newly pregnant and not having eaten beforehand. I thought it was a fluke! But then I got really lightheaded when Devin got his stitches removed and I said it was b/c I just had a baby and my foot was in a cast and it had been a long day. Well, when I passed out the second time, I figured I just couldn't handle it and so when I got them removed a third time, I was all ready to beat it by eating and not watching and taking deep breaths. Yeah, I didn't pass out, but I still got really pale and had to lay back for a while.
I was bruised for a while, all around the incision. And then Devin hit my leg, right above my ankle, and totally gave me a bruise there as well! Crazy! Well, my foot is doing pretty well and the pain is all gone! So, it seems like a good decision to take out the implant!
2 comments:
Just reading this made me sick..I had to take a break before I could write a comment. I'm really not made for medical things-I can't handle that kind of stuff. I hope its healing well and you aren't in pain anymore.
You guys and hospitals this year! Seriously. I'm happy you're not in pain anymore though. I'm hoping all is 100% well with Devin. :)
Post a Comment