On May 2, I ran my second half marathon. This one was in Provo, so no special trips out of town. I did have to get up pretty early though because the start of the race was up Provo Canyon. Before the race, I found out a fellow MBASA member and friend, Stacey, was also running, so we carpooled together to the bus and hung out together until the start of the race.
Stacey is a faster runner than I am, but I decided to start with her and see how long I could keep up with her. Yeah, it didn't last long!It was kind of disheartening to have all these people pass me right at the beginning of the race, but I was determined not to fall too far back!
I was wearing my watch this time, so I was kind of able to keep track of how fast I was running (it was just your basic watch) by what time it was when I got to certain mile markers. Since I ran my first half marathon in just over 2 hours, my goal was to make it in under 2 for this race.
Right about as I got to the mile 12 marker, I caught up to Stacey. So for the last 1.1 miles we ran together. It was a good motivator to keep myself going strong until the end. We even saw another fellow friend and MBASA member, Cami Wing, on the sidelines, who had come out to cheer for us!
As soon as I crossed that finish line, I totally thought I was gonna lose it (as in throw up!). I had to take deep breaths and walk around and drink some water. But I was able to keep it all down, which was good. My legs also hurt like crazy, so I knew I had run faster this time around, but I didn't know how much faster. When I got my official time, I discovered that I had beat Stacey by like 2 seconds, giving me a race time of about 1 hour and 51 seconds. Dude, I PR'd by 10+ minutes! Holy smokes!
Devin also had a race to run that day. He did what was called a kids' marathon. From the time I signed him up for the race until the day of the race, he had to run 25 miles. So I would run with him around Parkridge (the community in which we lived) and around the gym where I had my free fitness class 3 days a week to get his miles in. Then on race day, he ran 1.2 miles, to finish off 26.2 miles. He did a great job running and was excited to get his very own medal at the end!
No comments:
Post a Comment