Devin had a very full weekend.
On Friday he had his last/12 month photo shoot. He was a little wary of the photographer and her husband at first, but still gave small, closed-mouth smiles. Then we tried putting him on a toy with wheels and he was fine until he wanted to get off and dove off the front end over the handles, falling with a thunk onto the floor, head first. He wasn't that far from the ground before he fell, but it sure made his forehead a little red and after that there was absolutely no smiles! And all he wanted was me. We tried to get some more shots, but there wasn't really much to choose from after the "incident." Luckily, we did find one from the very beginning that we liked. He's smiling; it's just not the big, open-mouthed smile we're all used to.
Devin also had his 12 month check-up with the doctor. He was weighed and measured and here are his stats:
Length- 29.2 inches
Weight- 18 lbs 12 oz
He's pretty average for his height, but he is on the low end again for his weight. I think his head was pretty average as well.
Poor little guy had to get his toe pricked so they could test his iron levels. It didn't want to bleed, so the nurse had to squeeze his toe to get enough blood out. And he also got a couple shots. :( The iron test came back a little low, so the doctor wants us to go to a hospital and get it re-checked, b/c sometimes their machine errs on the low side. So we have to go do that on Monday. Another toe prick! Bummer deal dude!
On Saturday, Devin had his very first birthday party. We had only invited immediate family members (our parents and siblings) and 2 couple friends who have small babies just a little younger than Devin. Everyone but Morian's dad, Craig, and his wife, Nancy, were able to come. We started out with a pinata from Grandma Patty. Devin had fun hitting it with the help of Uncle Ethan and Daddy. Babies Sadie and Apollo also took their turns hitting the pinata!
Daddy helping Devin
Baby Apollo taking a swing
Sadie wants to try too!
Devin gets another turn with Uncle Ethan's help
Hitting the pinata, and action!
When it broke apart, Aunt Angie helped him load up on candy, even sticking some in his shirt pocket for later!
Devin showing off his loot!
We had cake and ice cream next. Well, first we sang Happy Birthday to Devin and then I blew out his candle for him b/c he wouldn't even try. He did try to grab it though!
I made a small cake especially for Devin, so we sat him in his chair and gave it him. He had fun digging his hands into it and then eating it off his hands. He was such a mess, but still super cute! So, I made his cake. It was supposed to look like a blue pond with frogs sitting on green lily pads. Very amateur-looking, I know, but I wanted to make it for him. I also made cupcakes that were frosted green with frogs on them. (The frogs were gummy, of course!)

Blowing out the candle
What is this?
Yum!
What's all over my hands?
Wow, this is good!
This is fun!
How do I get it off?
By eating it!

After I cleaned Devin up he opened his presents. (Once again, I pretty much did it for him!) Everyone was so generous and we are so grateful for all the fun stuff he got. Devin came away with some new clothes, new toys, new dishes, a new book, and his very first bike! It took a lot longer than I was expecting and he was so tired by the end. (Having taken only 1 half hour nap before the party also didn't help!)
Opening his first present
"My very own laptop!"
Where the Wild Things Are
Morian, Kirsta, and Devin on his new bike
After the party we went up to my parents' house to watch the BYU vs. FSU football game. Anyone who saw that would know how painful and embarrassing that was to watch! I'm quite put out with how the Cougars played. Hopefully they do better on the next game.
On Friday he had his last/12 month photo shoot. He was a little wary of the photographer and her husband at first, but still gave small, closed-mouth smiles. Then we tried putting him on a toy with wheels and he was fine until he wanted to get off and dove off the front end over the handles, falling with a thunk onto the floor, head first. He wasn't that far from the ground before he fell, but it sure made his forehead a little red and after that there was absolutely no smiles! And all he wanted was me. We tried to get some more shots, but there wasn't really much to choose from after the "incident." Luckily, we did find one from the very beginning that we liked. He's smiling; it's just not the big, open-mouthed smile we're all used to.
Devin also had his 12 month check-up with the doctor. He was weighed and measured and here are his stats:
Length- 29.2 inches
Weight- 18 lbs 12 oz
He's pretty average for his height, but he is on the low end again for his weight. I think his head was pretty average as well.
Poor little guy had to get his toe pricked so they could test his iron levels. It didn't want to bleed, so the nurse had to squeeze his toe to get enough blood out. And he also got a couple shots. :( The iron test came back a little low, so the doctor wants us to go to a hospital and get it re-checked, b/c sometimes their machine errs on the low side. So we have to go do that on Monday. Another toe prick! Bummer deal dude!
On Saturday, Devin had his very first birthday party. We had only invited immediate family members (our parents and siblings) and 2 couple friends who have small babies just a little younger than Devin. Everyone but Morian's dad, Craig, and his wife, Nancy, were able to come. We started out with a pinata from Grandma Patty. Devin had fun hitting it with the help of Uncle Ethan and Daddy. Babies Sadie and Apollo also took their turns hitting the pinata!
Daddy helping Devin
When it broke apart, Aunt Angie helped him load up on candy, even sticking some in his shirt pocket for later!
Devin showing off his loot!
I made a small cake especially for Devin, so we sat him in his chair and gave it him. He had fun digging his hands into it and then eating it off his hands. He was such a mess, but still super cute! So, I made his cake. It was supposed to look like a blue pond with frogs sitting on green lily pads. Very amateur-looking, I know, but I wanted to make it for him. I also made cupcakes that were frosted green with frogs on them. (The frogs were gummy, of course!)
After I cleaned Devin up he opened his presents. (Once again, I pretty much did it for him!) Everyone was so generous and we are so grateful for all the fun stuff he got. Devin came away with some new clothes, new toys, new dishes, a new book, and his very first bike! It took a lot longer than I was expecting and he was so tired by the end. (Having taken only 1 half hour nap before the party also didn't help!)
Opening his first present
5 comments:
Happy Birthday Devin! After the game last night, I can say that I would have rather gone to Devin's party instead of Provo for the game! Anyway, we're expecting you guys at our place for the CSU game!
It's fun to see you celebrated--happy birthday, little guy! And I love that you made his cake, and all the cakes, and they're cute.
We sure had fun with Devin (and you guys) on Saturday!
Happy birthday Devin!
Kirsta, I love that last picture! What a great family picture--soooooo cute!
It looks like he had a great party. Pinatas rock and so do homemade cakes by loving mothers :) Nice job and Happy Birthday Devin!
Post a Comment