So, I had surgery on my foot on Wednesday, November 17 (another story for another post), during which my mom came down to watch the kids for us. And then she took Devin home with her for the rest of the week to give me time to heal and only have to watch one kid by myself.
I was enjoying my lazy day at home with Mackenzie, watching Gilmore Girls, when I get a call from my mom, who sounded almost in tears, asking me what insurance we had for Devin. That got me a little nervous. When I asked why, she told me that he had tripped and fallen and split his head on her fireplace and there was blood everywhere and he had screamed and cried for a while. I was panic-stricken. I had thought about giving her a copy of his insurance card, just in case, but then forgot. I told her where she could go to get his head looked at up there, explaining to them that they could call me. I also told my mom to take a picture (which she forgot to do!)
She waited until my dad got home and then they took him to the urgent care clinic. They cleaned the wound and then gave him 5 stitches. My dad said Devin cried when they took off the band aid my mom had out on it and when they gave him the numbing shot, but that he was pretty good while they put in the stitches, even falling asleep during the last couple. My brave little boy!
I was enjoying my lazy day at home with Mackenzie, watching Gilmore Girls, when I get a call from my mom, who sounded almost in tears, asking me what insurance we had for Devin. That got me a little nervous. When I asked why, she told me that he had tripped and fallen and split his head on her fireplace and there was blood everywhere and he had screamed and cried for a while. I was panic-stricken. I had thought about giving her a copy of his insurance card, just in case, but then forgot. I told her where she could go to get his head looked at up there, explaining to them that they could call me. I also told my mom to take a picture (which she forgot to do!)
She waited until my dad got home and then they took him to the urgent care clinic. They cleaned the wound and then gave him 5 stitches. My dad said Devin cried when they took off the band aid my mom had out on it and when they gave him the numbing shot, but that he was pretty good while they put in the stitches, even falling asleep during the last couple. My brave little boy!

I had to take Devin in a week later to get the stitches out. I guess he will have a scar, but it shouldn't be too bad, as long as we remember to put sun screen on it any time he will be outside.
His doctor got out a mirror and showed him his head before he took the stitches out and Devin kind of ooh'd at it. His doc thought his reaction was pretty funny!
I got a couple pictures of his stitched up wound before his doctor took the stitches out.

And here he is right after the stitches were removed. Devin did an awesome job of holding still while the doctor worked. He said the first initial pull is kind of a zinger, but Devin never even once flinched. I was holding his arms, but I didn't even need to. I wish I had gotten out my phone to record to the removal process.



4 comments:
Yes, I was in tears when I called you. You know how I always panic when someone gets hurt....Oh, and I didn't wait until Dad got home, we met him at the Wee Care next to Davis Hospital. I had to change his diaper before we left and cleaned him up a little so he wouldn't get the wound dirty or get blood on anything else. I was trying to hurry, and we both had bloody hands, so I didn't want to take the time to go get the camera. He was a real trooper, though! I sure love that little guy - I'm sorry he got hurt on my watch!
I bet that was so hard! My mom always feels so bad when the grandkids get hurt when she's watching them and I'm sure it was rough on your mom too! Good news is that Devin will probably think the scar is cool when he's older. :)
Wow, what a story! You know, they say girls love a good scar!
My son is the same way! Claiming to need a band aid, being excited about it and promptly taking it off. He often gets mad that it won't stick any more after that.
Post a Comment