Sunday, July 31, 2011

Devin's Newest Injury

So, on Thursday evening, Morian was ironing his shirt. After he was done, he put the iron on the kitchen counter to cool then went to get changed. Devin proceeded to climb up onto the kitchen counter, and while laughing, grabbed the iron. The laughter quickly gave way to a cry of pain as he dropped the iron back down onto the counter. I rushed over to him and ran cool water onto his hand. The water really wasn't that cool (it takes forever to change temperatures) so Morian got an ice pack and wrapped it in a towel. I then held Devin on my lap for about half an hour as he held onto the ice. I then noticed his arm looked red so I tried to get the ice on it too, but Devin was more concerned with his hand.
Devin wasn't acting like his hand hurt at all; after the first initial cry out, he was very calm. But then when I tried to look at his hand (after that first 30m or so) he would start crying as soon as contact with the ice was broken. I gave him some tylenol and continued to just hold him (even though it was bedtime). I was finally able to get a look at it without him crying and then I transferred his hand/arm to a bowl of cool water.
This is what it looked like about an hour or so after it happened:
 I wrapped it up in gauze to protect the blisters while he slept:
 And here is Devin giving me his best frowny face:
 By the next morning, he was using his hand like normal and not acting like it hurt at all. The blister on his arm puffed up and has since popped. The ones on his hand then puffed up and so far are all intact. I was able to get a better picture of his injuries the next day:
Ouch!

3 comments:

Morian Black said...

Poor little guy :(
I felt so sad, but he's tough!

Esther/Mom/Grandma said...

I felt sad, too - in fact, I still do - but I know what a trooper he is - he was so good when we took him to get stitches in his head after it split open - I love him so much!

Kayley said...

So sorry Devin! Isn't it horrible when they hurt and we can't do much for them?