Sunday, October 23, 2011

Happy Birthday Mackenzie!

Happy Birthday today to the sweetest, cutest, awesomest little girl in the world! One year ago she was a brand new baby, so little and helpless. And now, she is walking all over the place doing something new all the time! I can hardly believe it's been a whole year. Where has the time gone?! 
In honor of her coming at 1am last year, she decided to wake up this morning at 5:10am. Thankfully it wasn't 1am, but dang, 5 is still early! She spent the day alternating between playing with new toys that she got at her party yesterday and being cranky!
So, we had her birthday party yesterday. We figured it was easier to do it on a Saturday than try to work around other people's church schedules. Morian wasn't able to get the day off from work, so we planned to have it around 10:30 so it could be basically done by the time needed to leave for work at noon. Only, Morian woke up Saturday morning sick. So he didn't even come. :( And his absence was cause for a lot more stress on my part, as I had some errands to run in the morning before the party, plus the party itself.
It was a beautiful day, and good thing too, b/c I had planned to do it outside b/c our place isn't the biggest. At first we all just visited while the kids (old and young) played with some balls found in the back of Maren's car.
Kenzie was super excited to see all the balls!

 Ethan, Jasper, Lena, Galina (Lena's mom)
 Freya (she is already like 1.5 months old and I just barely got to meet her)
 cute Jasper
 Dad, Cecilia, and Devin stuffing the pinata



 Then we had the pinata. We gave each little kid a turn to hit it and then pull a ribbon in hopes of opening it up. Kenzie and Jasper obviously needed some help, but Glenn and Devin did pretty good trying to hit it on their own. It was fun to watch! When it finally "broke" and its contents spread across the ground, the kids swarmed to see what there was. It was mostly candy, but there were a few toys. Devin went around picking up all the finger puppets and putting them on his fingers! Kenzie was interested to see what all that stuff was!


















We decided to do presents next. But before we got to those, we had a bit of an accident. I had stuck Kenzie up on the table next to all her presents and wanted take a picture of her. I stepped away from her to quickly get the camera and then Devin comes running over with a sucker in his mouth. I turned to tell him not to run with it and Kenzie takes that moment to lean forward, I'm assuming to crawl towards her brother. Well, there was nothing to crawl on and so she fell. Her head hit the bench and then the ground. :( She had a pretty good cry and two red marks on either side of her head. I felt so bad! But I'm surprised at how quickly she calmed down. She was a little fussy off and on for a little while, but was soon happy. Her owies looked pretty bad for a bit, but then they even calmed down to just bruises, and not even nasty ones. (You can't even see them now unless you move her hair.)
We finally got to the presents but she wasn't too interested in trying to open them, so I mostly did it. She got lots of hair bows and clothes and a few toys- Little People SUV, baby doll, baby stroller. Devin liked playing with the SUV and Jasper had fun pushing the stroller around once it got all put together!
Hair bows from Aunt Maren (you can see Kenzie's head is a little red in this picture from her fall)
 Pajamas and other clothes and hair accessories from Aunt Kayley, Uncle Paul, and cousin Glenn 
 A dress from Galina (Lena's mom from Russia) she kept showing it off to everyone- it was cute!
 Although you can't see it, a dress from Uncle Ethan, Aunt Lena, and cousin Jasper
 A baby doll from Grandma and Grandpa
Little People SUV from Mommy, Daddy, and Devin

 And inside this box is the stroller to go with the baby doll...
Jasper taking the baby for a walk!

We did cake last. I made a butterfly cake. Its wings were hearts and the body was made out of twinkies. I even made a mini one for Kenzie.


 Right before we started singing, Kenzie grabbed a chunk of the body of the big one and enjoyed eating the chocolate frosting/twinkie off her hands!


We had a hard time keeping the candle lit, so I had to hold my hand up by it while we sang Happy Birthday.
We gave Kenzie her little cake to  eat by herself. She wasn't too sure about it at first, kind of like Devin was with his, but she didn't get as crazy in hers as Devin did with his!




 This is what her cake looked like when she was all done with it

To end the party, we went back to visiting and playing.
It was a little bit crazy but fun! Hopefully next year her birthday will go a little more smoothly!
Back at home, Kenzie had fun modeling the headbands she got from Aunt Kayley!
 And finally playing with her baby stroller!

Morian's mom wasn't able to come to the party b/c she had to work, so she stopped by the house after work to give Mackenzie her presents.
In these two were a dress and pajamas
She actually opened a present!
 What could it be?!
 Devin thought he better help!
 It's a push toy!

Thanks to everyone who came and gave presents and brought other stuff to help celebrate Mackenzie's first birthday!

4 comments:

Esther/Mom/Grandma said...

Thanks for posting all the cute pictures from Kenzie's party! I am so glad the fall wasn't disastrous! It was a fun day. I hope Morian is feeling better!

Kayley said...

I love her face as she is modeling the hand bands. So cute! Thanks for a good time Kirsta! Your kids are too cute!

Carolyn Ebert said...

Happy Birthday cute Kenzie!

Adrienne said...

So grown up! I love the cake - excellent decorating skills, Kirsta!