Saturday, September 20, 2008

Details

So, here's the lowdown on what happened. Tuesday morning the hospital called at 7:00 AM to say they were ready for me and to get there as soon as I could. We were checking in by 7:40. I received the pitocin and another inducing agent at about 9:40, after which I started to have pretty regular contractions that felt none too good! I got the epidural around 12:30. That was a lifesaver! Morian would pretty much tell me when I was having a contraction b/c I couldn't feel 'em. A couple hours later I was feeling the contractions but totally in my back and they were mega painful! (Baby was chilling out kinda posterior/sideways. But no worries! He moved anterior before I needed to push!) So I got an extra boost of medicine at 3:30, after which I was so totally and completely numb in the lower half! By the time I started pushing at 6:15, the numbness was starting to wear off. I couldn't feel pain but I could feel pressure so I knew when I was having a contraction. (And I could move my legs again!) During my first push the baby's heartrate dropped and wouldnt come back up again till I'd changed positions a million times and took lots of slow deep breaths with the oxygen mask on. At 6:30 we tried pushing again and had much better success so that I could continue pushing. At 7:20 my doctor showed up to see how things were going. B/c the baby's heartrate dropped everytime I pushed she didn't wanna prolong the birth anymore. And out came the forceps! Yikes! She used those to help pull the head down a little and then 2 more contractions later I had a baby (at 7:40 pm)! He had the cord wrapped around his neck a little which is why his heartrate would drop. He cried, of course, but not for too long. He was more interested in looking around at his new surroundings and was actually quite calm! We are so excited to have Devin with us! He is such a cutie and such a sweetheart! He likes to sleep all day and eat all night! He has Morian's lips and his chicken legs! But he has more of my coloring like blonde hair and a lighter skin tone. He has pretty big eyes (when he opens them!) and they are so dark you can't even tell what color they are! His fingers, toes, and feet are pretty long. But he is the most adorable thing ever!

10 comments:

Krystal said...

Yea! I've been checking regularly for pics;) He's SO cute and has such sweet little features. I love the blonde hair! You look great Kirsta by the way! Get some good rest any time you get a chance and call me if I can help with anything! Congrats!!!

meg said...

i'm glad things worked out so well--and you have such a great attitude about it all. really, devin is so adorable--we can't wait to see him in person.

Mariah said...

Congratulations! I love the pictures. He is adorable!

Michael B said...

So good to see you guys last night! It's great everything is healthy! Congrats again!

Erika said...

Yea! Congratulations--welcome baby Devin!! I am so excited for you guys.

We go in tomorrow morning at 6:30am but I think you probably had it a little harder than I will. Not looking forward to the recovery from a c-section though...whatever it takes to get baby here though, right?? :)

Greg said...

Congratulations! You have so many terrific pictures. We are excited to see you all!

Bryce and Kathleen said...

Congrats!! he is soo cute! we're excited to meet him. hope everything is going well.

Kayli said...

I thought I had already commented to say congrats but apparently I hadn't?! Shame on me. I was thinking it anyway!

CONGRATS!!! He's so sweet and cute and teeny! I love all the pictures. I hope you're doing well.

As far as the baby announcement, Kami made it on the computer using a program called Gimp which is similar to Photoshop I guess. If you're interested, Kami will make an announcement however you'd like it for twenty dollars, and then send you it so you can print it at a cheap place like Winkflash or Shutterfly or Wal-Mart and get as many copies as you want to have, and you also get the image to save, e-mail, etc. So if you're interested in going that way, I could let her know. I thought I'd tell you, because sometimes you'd rather pay a bit and have less hassle. But on the other hand, you may want to have the satisfaction of making them yourself.

Anyway, congratulations again--he is one sweet little guy!

Christian said...

KISS-TA!

Crazy - but this is Heather Reber Russell...long story about how I found your blog. Your boy is cute!

Erika said...

My shirt in the last picture is from Kohl's I think. My mom and sister gave me almost all of my maternity clothes (thank goodness!)so I don't know where they all came from but I'm guessing from the brand. And yes it was still a maternity shirt. I'm afraid to try to put on regular clothes yet...I'll have to be brave though and try it soon! :)