Wednesday, September 3, 2008

My Swiss Sis

When I was a senior in high school, my family had a foreign exchange student come and live with us. Her name was/is Geraldine (Geri) Theiler and she was/is from Raperswil, Switzerland. That is the German-speaking part of the country. It was such a neat experience to have her live with us and she became a very good friend of the entire family. It's been 8 years since she came to live with us and she has back to visit 5 times (I think!) She was able to come out when Morian and I got married 2+ years ago and be one of my bridesmaids. Her most rececnt visit just barely ended, with her flying back home at 7:00 this morning (Wednesday). Her first couple days were spent with me as we watched all 3 Anne of Green Gables movies. (Plus she had to buy them on DVD to take home with her!) Everytime she visits we make sure to go to Taco Bell (there are NONE in Switzerland and she loves the burrito supremes!), get a banana milkshake from Sonic (we love the way she says banana!), go bowling (we used to go a lot in high school and one of the first times she went with us, she threw the ball into the wrong lane- it was quite funny!), and watch the A&E version of Pride and Prejudice (soooo much better than the new one with Kiera Knightly!) This time we also went mini-golfing with my cousin, Niels, and swimming at 7 Peaks Water Park in Provo. Just to explain the title, in high school, we would call Geri "Swiss Miss," like the hot chocolate. Now, we pretty much consider her a part of the family so she is our "Swiss Sis."
sister Maren, cousin Niels, Geri
Kirsta, cousin Emily, sister Maren, Geri

Dad, Geri, Kirsta, Morian, sister Kayley, brother-in-law Paul

2 comments:

Erika said...

I am sooo glad you like the A&E version of Pride & Prejudice better too. Some people have only seen the Keira Knightley version and it's just sad!!

I keep checking your blog to see if baby has come yet...can't wait to see pics!

Liz T. said...

I am glad she got to come out! I just have to giggle a little about Anne of Green Gables and Pride and Prejudice because Matt always complains about the many summer days at Grandma's and Grandpa's suffering through those two movies with you guys whenever I want to watch them. I love those shows too!!!! Good luck with your delivery.