On Sunday, January 27, Devin woke up and said he had a tummy ache and that he needed to throw up. (He never did, but Mackenzie did; go figure!) We stayed home from church and lazed around all day. Once he ate, he felt better, but he was feeling sick again by dinner time. Devin had a fever of about 101-102, so I gave him some medicine and sent him to bed. He went right to sleep, but he woke up a bunch during the night.
Monday morning he woke up feeling sick again and complained of a sore neck. I could tell that it was pretty swollen, especially on the right side. He would cry when I would just touch it and he could barely move his head, either side to side or up and down. His eyes were blood shot. He hardly ate anything all day. He had a fever again. I would give him medicine and the fever went down a little, but it never went below 101 degrees. Monday night he hardly slept at all. Morian spent most of the night with him, trying to get him to sleep, but he just hurt and felt yucky.
Tuesday morning, I decided we should take him in to the doctor. Of course, we had to wait until the doctor's office actually opened to even call and make an appointment! When I went to take Devin's temperature, I noticed a red rash all over his back. We got an appointment for 9:30 and Morian took him in. The doctor was nervous about his swollen lymph node, suspecting that it might be an abscess. So he told them to go up to Primary Children's Medical Center so they could do some tests and figure out what was up. When I got that phone call from Morian, I was so scared for Devin! Morian updated me throughout the day, saying they were doing tests, tests, and more tests trying to figure out what was wrong. They did decide that he did not have an abscess (good news!) but they would keep him overnight to give him some IV antibiotics for a suspected infection in his neck lymph node. Since Morian didn't get much sleep the night before, I went up to the hospital to spend the night with Devin so Morian could go home and sleep. That first night he was down in the Rapid Treatment Unit.
This is how I found Devin at 7 pm; eating pizza and watching TV!
IV #1
Here's that rash on his back. The rash had actually spread all over his body between when I first discovered it Tuesday morning and Tuesday night.
The red spots behind his ear are part of the rash spreading up his neck.
Despite being in the hospital with a needle in his hand, he was pretty happy!
Sleeping...he did a lot of that in small spurts. He fell asleep for the night around 8 pm and slept for 2 hours, but then he was awake about every half hour or so for various reasons (getting vitals checked, going potty, etc). He was now having diarrhea, so we put him in pull-ups since he wasn't always able to hold it until he made it to the toilet. I tried sleeping on the couch bed, but eventually he wanted me in his bed with him. At one point during the night, his fever got as high as 104.
Wednesday morning he looked a little more sick. The rash had kind of spread up onto his face during the night, but he was still really pale too. He also had a cough and it seemed like it hurt his throat, as he would grab onto it as he coughed.
Devin wasn't eating much still, but he was doing a good job of drinking and keeping himself hydrated. When the doctor came in to talk with me, she said they were confused because of all his symptoms seemed to be saying different things, but one thing they were looking at was something called Kawasaki Disease. But before they could diagnose that, they needed to wait for 5 days of fever. So they were definitely keeping him in the hospital, but he would be moved upstairs to the Children's Unit.
Devin was so excited to get this balloon and doggy from Grandma Esther and Grandpa Don! Thanks Mom and Dad!
More sleep
and even more!
No comments:
Post a Comment