The rest of Sunday and in to Monday Devin was stable and full of morphine! At one point Devin had a pretty high fever but they weren't giving him medicine for that (I can't remember why not) and so the nurse and Morian put wet wash cloths on Devin's exposed body parts to help cool him down.
This is how I found him when I got to the hospital late Monday morning. His poor lips and nose were so bloody! They looked terrible!
Originally the plan was to take the breathing tube out today but there were certain things that needed to happen first and those took a long time, so the earliest removal would be Tuesday morning. They took the catheter out (risk of infection the longer it's in) but then he wasn't peeing on his own, even with a full bladder. They did a straight catheter, of putting one in to drain the bladder then removing it. They took him off the steady morphine drip so that he wouldn't be totally out of it when they removed the breathing tube. The finally placed a feeding tube but it took 3 tries by 3 different people at 3 different times. The first one twisted a bunch of times in his stomach before going into the jejunum, but it wasn't quite in far enough. So they took that one out and tried again. The second one made it into the jejunum, but then looped back into the stomach. At first, with the third one, they thought it wasn't in far enough, but then it was decided that it was. So he was finally getting nutrients.
It might be kind of hard to see, but he had a big blood bubble coming out of his nose.
Because he was so drugged, he would open his eyes a little when they moved his body around (to place the feeding tube he needed to be propped up on his left side, and to get x-rayed to test the location of the feeding tube he had to be flat on his back). It was hard to see him open his eyes but not focusing on anything. He also started to cough, working on his own to get the gunk out. He even almost cried while they were draining his bladder.
On Tuesday morning before I left, they had to put another catheter in because Devin just wasn't peeing on his own. When I left, I kissed Devin on the forehead and told him I was leaving and Daddy was coming. He opened his eyes and looked right at me, like he knew what I was saying. So I asked him if he wanted to see Daddy and he nodded his head! Good sign!
They did end up taking both the breathing and feeding tubes out on Tuesday. (I think the feeding tube had a kink in it and kept getting clogged.) I guess Devin was more out of it and tired than they thought he should be and all he wanted to do was sleep. He also wasn't breathing the best so they put him on oxygen through his nose. They also put another feeding tube it.
No comments:
Post a Comment